birding-aus

2017

To: birding-aus <>, "Birdchat " <>, "Sabirdnet ( " <>
Subject: 2017
From: Willem Jan Marinus Vader <>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:59:55 +0000
Tromsø is in the middle of mørketiden, the dark period, and these days we have
very little daylight (an hour of twilight) and no sun at all, the consequence
of living so far north. Fortunately we did get a White Christmas after all,
even though it was at the last moment: two weeks of rain had removed all the
snow, until we got a new snowfall on 23 December; now everything looks
wonderful, and the reflection from the snow makes it possible to walk most
places in the dark.

But there are few land birds, besides the ubiquitous magpies and hooded crows,
and here and there House Sparrows and Great Tits. But yesterday we came across
a small group of five Bohemian Waxwings on the wire near our house, in fact the
first I have seen here this autumn, when apparently most have erupted further
south. And I heard the cozy croaking of a pair of Ravens.

I wish you all a happy, healthy and harmonious 2017, full of birds.

Wim Vader, Tromsø, Norway

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>