birding-aus

Field guide (or Android app) for India/Nepal

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: Field guide (or Android app) for India/Nepal
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:25:34 +0000
Hi Dave,

You might find "Birds of Nepal" Grimmett, Inskipp & Inskipp ( Helm) useful
in Nepal. It served me well in 2014. It may well be of use in Maharashtra.
I don't know if there is anything on Maharashtra. When you get to
Kathmandu, I recommed looking up Bird Conservation Nepal, www.
birdlifenepal.org. They are a bit hard to find, as they are up a cul-de-sac
off a main road, and most taxi drivers don't have a clue where they are, so
take their phone no. and give it to the driver, and he can ring them for
directions. They were most helpful in directing me to a vulture restaurant
at Gachowk, near Pokhara. If you go to Gachowk, the accom is very basic,
pretty much a doss, but it was worth it to see
vultures up close. I was lucky, a cow had just died, so there were heaps of
Vultures of several species present. My hotel in Pokhara, the North -face
Inn, arranged transport etc. The North-face is a nice convenient place, 5
min walk down to the main drag and there are some not bad places to eat and
little shops including barbers down the street. It is very pleasant to sit
on the roof terrace of an evening, with a beer or whatever, and watch the
sun set on Annapurna.
I will be interested in hearing how you go in Maharashtra. It has been on
my bucket list for a while now.

Have a great trip.

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016, Dave Torr <> wrote:

> Any recommendation for central/northern India and Nepal? I have the 2003
> Grimmett/Inskio "Birds of Northern India" - I will also be going into
> NW Maharashtra
> (Tadoba NP) and that is not covered by the book.
> Thanks
> Dave
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list