birding-aus

Opportunity to go birding in the Great Western Woodlands (in WA)

To: "" <>
Subject: Opportunity to go birding in the Great Western Woodlands (in WA)
From: Maris Lauva <>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 13:46:04 +0000
Volunteers to go out on Great Western Woodlands (GWW) surveys are being sought
for next year.

Autumn surveys will take place in April and May 2017. We are looking for people
to join with friends to form a group to go out and do bird surveys at that
time. Groups will need two four wheel drive vehicles as a minimum. Surveys
consist of 25 or so 20 minute ATLAS searches to specific sites in the woodlands
plus whatever other observations you may happen to make. If interested people
do not have a 4WD or wish to join a survey as an individual we will try to find
a place for them.

All official surveys are supported with an information pack, maps, directions,
loan of a satphone and full consultation. Loan of a GPS with the survey sites
loaded as waypoints are also available. Fuel subsidies can be made available
under certain conditions.

Interested people should contact the Surveys Coordinator, Maris Lauva, at
gww.birdlife.org.au or 040302 9051. Even if it just tickles your interest a
little bit feel free to contact us to receive full information about the GWW,
the surveys project, bird lists, maps and lots of other information.

As a guide to where you might go we would be most keen for people to survey the
areas of Frank Hahn/Peak Charles and Karroun Hill. However the GWW is a vast
area and as all nine survey areas need to be surveyed regularly people are free
to choose any other survey area they wish.

The GWW committee have recently produced bird guides, including sites for
recreational birding within the GWW. These will shortly be posted to all people
who have participated in GWW surveys in the past. Anyone else who may be
interested can request the guides from

For our Eastern States friends who may not have heard of the GWW, it is the
largest remaining intact temperate woodland in the world, over twice the size
of Tasmania.

Maris Lauva

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list