birding-aus

Waterbirds in Rutherglen and the Riverina

To: birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: Waterbirds in Rutherglen and the Riverina
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 05:18:37 +0000
We took a trip to Rutherglen on 29 -30 November primarily to replenish
essential supplies.  Where we camped at Lake King there were a reasonable
number of waterbirds with breeding by Pacific Black Duck, Dusky Moorhen and
Eurasian Coot.

We came back to Carwoola (near Queanbeyan) via Howlong and Urana and along
the way noted several flocks of Australian White Ibis (AWI), 1-4
individuals of White-necked Heron and several instances of 1 White-faced
Heron in the billabongs still evident beside the road.

At Urana we visited the J M Smith Flora and Fauna Reserve which had a lot
of water in it with breeding AWI and Pacific Black Duck.  Given that it was
midday and 32C therewere quite a few birds around and I'd suggest this was
a site that could benefit from further visits.

My general impression was that there were more waterbirds around this area
than have been evident around Canberra recently.  Are the birds beginning
to return to the haunts they abandoned in favour of the flooded areas (or
was the Riverina one of the places to which they went)?

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list