birding-aus

RFI Western NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: RFI Western NSW
From: Chris Lloyd <>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:20:22 +0000
I am out there fairly regularly and I was up in Macquarie Marshes about a
month ago and LC and Louth in June/July. A few comments:

*        Lake Cargelligo is a good base for Round Hill/Nombinnie/Yathong NR,
Rankin Springs (Lachlan Fold Belt birds like Glossy Blacks) and a good
stretch of the Lachlan River. The swamps around Griffith are also a day trip
as is Cocopara, though the latter has been degraded by feral goats. The CP
has a couple of AC good cabins and there are all your basic services. It
will be hot but there is the lake for swimming and generally taking some of
the heat off surrounding land. Sitting watching cricket during the heat of
the day can pass the time but again maybe not so great for Poms - they do
play cricket don't they? There is some bird routes and a list on the Lakes
Alive website.  Like all  road out west which have had floods the road
surface have been lifted creating potholes and many have been damaged by
trucks. The trip out through Forbes (Gum Swamp may be worth a visit after
the flooding) down to West Wyalong should be fine (Lake Cowal is full and
worth a look) but the roads along the Lachlan from Condobolin might be
severely damaged and probably best avoided.

*        Macquarie Marshes were spectacular a month or so ago but slowly
receding there will still be plenty of birds around and lots of breeding.
Willie Retreat make a good albeit it rustic spot to stay with cabins and
powered sites. The insect load was dramatic but that is why the birds are
there. Most of the roads to and from and around the Marshes are fine albeit
with a few small wash aways and potholes.

*        Kinchega/Menindee is gradually filling which should see an eruption
of local and migrant species. I have bird watched the area at the height of
summer a couple of times and it comes down to managing you time around
mornings and evenings on hot days but can be spectacular as you get
juveniles and adults. Broken Hill is close by (110km) for some civilised
relief. Accommodation can be tricky as the local take their holidays there
when there is water. We have used camping sites along the Darling and
Cawndilla as well as the CP at Kopi Hollow. There should be no road problems
at all.

*        There are a couple of Outback Stays along the Darling such as
Trilby station near Louth, White Cliffs and the pub in Wanaaring which are
close to good birding areas on the Darling, Lake Peery and the Paroo
respectively. If there is water in the Paroo, and I think its full, then
Nocoleche NR can be worth a few days and is just out from Wanaaring. The pub
is, well let's just say, colourful but very hospitable. There are three
small AC rooms. We had a ball out there as well as good birds. Roads out
past Bourke and north of BH are always bad in places. Corrugations are the
main issue on the main ones such as Bourke-Wanaaring, Wanaaring-Tibooburra
and Tibooburra-BH. If they are not used to these conditions then probably
best avoided. I have found that many of the back roads such as White
Cliffs-Wanaaring or Louth- Wanaaring actually much better as they don't the
heavy freight traffic. However these road a not kind to the radial tyres
found on most soft-roaders and sedans.

For a European (sorry I guess we can't say that about the poms anymore) any
of these places is dramatic plunge into outback Australian culture as well
as good birding. I took my young Italian in-laws out there one summer and
despite the heat, flies and dust, they didn't want to leave - they weren't
birdwatchers either. Hope this helps and come back if you want any detail

Chris Lloyd

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>