birding-aus

In the Marshes

To: "" <>
Subject: In the Marshes
From: Chris Lloyd <>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 06:47:11 +0000
We arrived two days ago in the Macquarie Marshes and I have to say I doubt
in a number of continents and more years than I care to specify, I have ever
seen anything like the numbers of birds - in the air, on water and whatever
little land and trees there are. We counted about 70 plus species in little
over an hour cruising along a few kilometres of the Gibson Way.

Magpie Geese and Brolgas sticking their heads up above the abundant
vegetation, Hardheads shepherding chicks while a couple of Australasian
Bitterns boom in the reed beds. The second crossing east of Willie had a
mixed assemblage of Great Egrets, Little Egrets, Straw and White Ibis using
the flowing water for some angling while a couple well feed kites and a
Little Eagle watched on.

As far as the eye can see there were V-formations, flocks and mixed species
clusters travelling in any direction and making avian air traffic control a
serious issue. All this activity was not only visual as a cacophony of
grunts and whistles drifted from the floating breeding centres and
distinctive odour of Ibis preen oil wafted through marshes.

The new growth and the abundance of insect life it supports is, by itself, a
spectacular sight. The land is so flooded the parrots forage from above
using any fence, shrub or object that will support their weight to get at
the abundant green seed. Watching Red-winged Parrots upside down on the
shrubbery is all part of the show. Absolutely fantastic.

The road up from Warren has significant stretches underwater and it is
critical travellers check the local conditions. Gibson Way is closed as
large sections have been churned up. It probably possible to get through but
don't expect locals to applaud as you chew through their council rates on
diesel for repairs.

The yin and yang of such events is all too clear. Towns such as Forbes and
Condobolin continue to struggle and the infrastructural damage such as the
roads will burden already over-stretch LGAs. Perhaps the birdwatching
community can play its part as the waters recede by filling the caravan
parks, fuel tanks and stomachs on local purchases. Ciao

Chris Lloyd

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>