birding-aus

Hunter River Sites and access

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hunter River Sites and access
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 08:31:43 +0000
Evening all,

My planned camping trip over the next week on the Lachlan has been foiled (I
too was hoping to get to Round Hill but roads are still closed) so we are
heading instead to the Hunter Valley to my in-laws place at Paynes Crossing. On
one of the aya where the weather is a bit more friendly (probably Tuesday based
on forecast) I am hoping to sneak down Newcastle way and try and add a few
coastal birds to my annual list.

I have had a look on the HBOC site but there isn't much info on specific sites.
The locations I was probably going to try for were:

  *   Hunter Wetlands Centre (easy enough - I have been there before)
  *   Stockton Wader Roost - Assume best time is at high tide and does anyone
know a link to the best tide info for the site?
  *   Heham Swamp - there were details about access to a site in the archives -
happy to have a look but easier if someone knows if they are still valid (was
to do with track/road work?)

I don't see many reports lately about Ash Island - is it still accessible and
is it worth the visit (I have been there a few times and a drive up Wagtail Way
was always productive).

Any tips or hints appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter