birding-aus

Another good reason to ban helium balloons

To: Laurie Knight <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Another good reason to ban helium balloons
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 10:36:54 +0000
An issue that needs a lot more publicity. So many funerals involve people
releasing masses of balloons - and while I feel for those people, I'm sure
they don't realise they are potentially killing birds and turtles and other
sealife...
And it's not just the balloons - the plastic rubbish taken out of stomachs
of baby mutton birds (scooped up by parents mistaking it for food) includes
those plastic discs that are used to close them, and the plastic sticks
many of them are held on also end up in the oceans. A recent study found
these balloons can travel hundreds of kms before ending up in the ocean.
Despite publicity from the balloon shops about them being biodegradable,
that takes 2 to 5 years...
Sandra H, canberra

On Friday, 2 September 2016, Laurie Knight <> wrote:

> They are ending up in the stomachs of pelagic birds ...
>
> http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/uq-study-
> examines-seabird-stomachs-finds-lots-of-plastic-
> balloons-20160901-gr6nju.html
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>  <javascript:;>