birding-aus

That's an ecotone

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: That's an ecotone
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:30:28 +0000
The Ekka holiday in Brisbane dawned clear, so of course I joined my mate Bill
on a longitudinal traverse of Spicers Peak.

The rangers had successfully completed a cool burn in the vicinity of
Governor’s Chair a few weeks earlier, so there were few birds to be seen, other
than the Grey Shrike Thrush (no sign of Painted Button-Quail this time).

We noticed a plume of smoke rising (in the still air) from the far end of
Spicers when we were making our way through the rock buttresses.  We then
noticed a Wedgie cruise over, then another, then another, then another and yet
another, so that there were five circling above us.  One did a rapid glide past
while we were on top - we could hear the wind in its wings - something I
normally associate with faster birds.

The highlight as we were following the crest of the peak west was a large
Brush-tailed Rock-Wallaby bounding across the ridge - it was the first time I
had seen one in the rainforest.  Further along there were lovely lookouts to
the south with great views of the peaks of the Main Range.  It was nice
listening to the Albert’s Lyrebirds in the distance.

Entering the schlerophyll at the far end of the mountain, we hit the edge of
the fresh burn - the rangers had run a drip line along the crest so one side
was burnt and the other unburnt.  I noticed a Grey-crowned Babbler on the
unburnt side and then a Spotted Quail-Thrush on the burnt side.

Coming back on the convict road, we could hear Noisy Miners calling.  A few
hundred metres further up the track, there was a bit of change in the
vegetation and the soundscape was filled with Bellbird calls.  Now that’s what
you call an ecotone.

Regards, Laurie.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list