birding-aus

Bird call recognition apps.

To: "" <>
Subject: Bird call recognition apps.
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 23:35:06 +0000
Hello Michael,

You can spend a fortune on recording gear or take my approach - have a look at
my website under Resources. Most important, you do need a good microphone and
windshield like the one I use. My information on recorders a somewhat out of
date now, although I have recently purchased an LS-14 that I find quite good
and I got it for about $200, but there is a good choice of alternatives in the
$2-400 range.

In regard to apps, both the Morcombe and Pizzey apps have most Australian birds
to listen to or play, just that they can't name any sound you have recorded
that you can't identify.

And don't forget, there is a lot of very good sound on my website for nearly
all the Australian passerines, plus some.

Personally if I was still vetting atlas records I wouldn't allow the use of ID
by App as a "heard" record. There are enough dodgy records already to deal with
and there is so little known about the repertoire of nearly all of our birds
that the concept is fraught with problems.

The biggest hurdle to be overcome in producing a sound app. that covers every
bird in Australia is that, even excluding vagrants, the recordings probably
don't even yet exist.

Regards

Graeme Chapman
<HR>