birding-aus

Whimbrel - Port Botany (Sydney) 18 June 2016

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Whimbrel - Port Botany (Sydney) 18 June 2016
From: Tom Wilson <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:12:00 +0000
Hi all
a single Whimbrel was seen near the pilings at the wader site in Port Botany –
seen at approx. 11;30 am, low/falling tide. Also 2 Aust Pied Oystercatchers but
no other waders seen; just 2 Little Egret and a few Australian Ibis.  I know
I’ve seen over-wintering Whimbrel further north in Australia, but not sure I’ve
ever seen a Sydney over-wintering bird before.
It was the first time I’d been since the new port development – the area
reserved for the birds looks quite good – some shingle banks, some
samphire/saltmarsh and (at low tide) quite a lot of mud.  Hope it proves
attractive in the long run (and there are birds to use it).
Cheers
Tom Wilson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list