birding-aus

48 hours in Sulawesi: Tangkoko

To: Birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: 48 hours in Sulawesi: Tangkoko
From: Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:10:03 +0000
Hi all,
I spent the1st and 2nd June 2016 at Tangkoko Batuangus Nature Reserve in
northernSulawesi. The birdingwas amazing. I had excellent guides one of whom
had some of the best birdingknowledge in the Asian, Australasian region that I
have witnessed.

The amazing animals bear cuscus and spectral tarsier werealso seen (and a
trefoil-toothed giant rat).

Birding highlightsfor me included Isabelline bush-hen, Knobbed hornbilland
Sulawesi myna.

The followingbirds were seen in the area over two days spent in and around the
naturereserve (including walking 20km on day 1 within the reserve):

Sulawesi hanging parrot
Grey-rumped treeswift
Plain-throated sunbird
Brown cuckoo dove
Green imperial pigeon
Pygmy hanging parrot
Rainbow bee-eater
Slender-billed crow
Finch-billed starling
Black-crowned white-eye
Hair-crested drongo
Yellow-billed malkoha
Sulawesi triller
Crimson sunbird
Black-naped fruit dove
Sooty-headed bulbul
Eurasian treesparrow
White-rumped cuckoo-shrike
Cattle Egret
Collared kingfisher
Glossy swiftlet
Grey-cheeked green pigeon

Purple-winged Roller
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Black sunbird
Blue-backed parrot
Yellow-breasted Racquet-tail
Green-backed Kingfisher
Lilac-cheeked Kingfisher
Sulawesi goshawk
Sulawesi babbler
Knobbed hornbill
Philippine scrubfowl
Yellow-sided flowerpecker
Grey-sided flowerpecker
Pale blue monarch
Ashy woodpecker
Common kingfisher
Sulawesi dwarf hornbill
Ornate lorikeet
Great eared nightjar
Bay coucal
Eclectus parrot (presumed escapees)
Sulawesi black pigeon (White-faced cuckoo-dove)
Sulawesi Masked Owl
Isabelline bush-hen
Sulawesi cicadabird
White-necked myna
Sulawesi myna
White-bellied imperial pigeon
Silver-tipped imperial pigeon
Sulawesi serpent eagle
Black-billed koel
Barred rail
Olive-backed sunbird
Black-naped Oriole
White-breasted woodswallow
Sulawesi woodpecker (heard but not seen properly. Glimpse only)
Pacific swallow
Asian glossy starling

Cheers,Charles Hunter
Bronte, Sydney