birding-aus

Do we lose another Wader roost?

To: "" <>
Subject: Do we lose another Wader roost?
From: Burnice Starkey <>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 05:17:05 +0000
In a recent newsletter from the Cairns Bird group I was extremely alarmed to
read an article by Brian Venables titled: Institutionalised Environmental
Vandalism.

He wrote a report about a recent meeting with Cairns Airport with regard to the
environmental impacts for a proposed expansion.

Those present were listed as:
 Peter Hitchcock (Environment and Heritage Consultant)
Brian Venables (Bird Life Australia)
Darren Crayn (Australian Tropical Herbarium, JCU)
Bess Murphy (Cairns and Far North Environment Centre)
Kevin Brown (Cairns Airport Pty. Ltd)
Ian Maltmann (Cairns Airport Pty. Ltd)
Helen Laird (Cairns Airport Pty. Ltd)

Birders both Australian and international should be aware that these intentions
would impact on the salt marsh, mangroves and boardwalk  locally named Jack
Barnes Boardwalk.

In view of the plight of the Eastern Curlew's ever declining numbers and the
importance of Wader roosts I am shocked to read that:
"the Airport was only vaguely
aware of its importance as a roost for waders (some of which are on
the brink of extinction) they were completely unaware of its importance and
place in the ecosystem. They were also unaware of the species diversity and age
of the surrounding forests..."

Whether these mangroves were de-listed from the National Register by some past
government or not, our present State and Federal Environment Ministers should
intervene.

Sadly Brian Venables surmised that although alternative suggestions were
discussed: "Surveys were proposed and a further meeting, but it would seem that
the loss of our beautiful mangrove forest is a fait accompli and although the
Cairns Airport Pty. Ltd. (a multinational company) has said they will not
proceed immediately they have the option to do so at any time.

Legislations can be re-written.
How can we let Cairns Airport Pty Ltd blunder ahead?

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>