birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: "" <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: Birdpedia - Australia Info <>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 14:35:05 +0000
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, May 23, 2016 to Sunday, May 29, 2016:

Area: SA

Date: Friday, May 20, 2016

Location: Mutton Cove Conservation Park

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora) (4) 4 adult birds seen foraging along
fenceline near entrance gate by carpark on Mersey Rd.

Reported by: Ali Ben Kahn on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Date: Monday, May 23, 2016

Location: Waite St, Ethelton

Nankeen Night Heron (Nycticorax caledonicus) (1) A young post-juvenile moult
bird roosting in a Calistemmon in my backyard. I first noticed it because
several Noisy Miners and Magpie Larks were kicking up a fuss. Later it moved to
the top of the tree, possibly to get some sun, but it was then was swooped by
Magpies and retreated to thicker foliage. Later still New Holland Honeyeaters
discovered it and also made lots of noise.
It was very windy last night with strong gusty winds and intermittent rain so
maybe it got a bit lost and/or needed shelter on its way to somewhere else. I
have never seen one in my garden before but they are common in the Port area
e.g. Garden Island, Torrens Island and other nearby suitable places.

Reported by: Ali Ben Kahn on Monday, May 23, 2016

Date: Saturday, May 28, 2016

Location: Victor Harbor

Northern Giant-Petrel (Macronectes halli) (1) Immature bird swimming by The
Bluff Jetty at the end of Franklin Parade, hoping for scraps from the fishermen.

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora) (6) Earlier in the afternoon on Granite
Island, a foraging group passed close to us, unconcerned as we stood quietly,
some feeding only 2m from our feet.  There were also calls between members of
the group.  Meanwhile, less quiet park users passed by on the path only 10m
away.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) A ridiculously tame bird was
again foraging near the (closed) Granite Island cafe.

Reported by: Kevin Stracey on Saturday, May 28, 2016

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'