birding-aus

Birds at Maroubra Junction NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: Birds at Maroubra Junction NSW
From: Anne Brophy <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 23:35:43 +0000
Mary’s observations are interesting and very relevant, as the current loss of
trees along the border of Centennial Park and along Anzac Parade due to the
progress of the Light Rail are of great concern.
>From my casual observations there does not seem to be a great deal of change
>in bird habit in especially the Centennial Park area. That is not to say that
>constant monitoring is still not needed as the loss of trees and bird habitat
>has been considerable.
The Corellas both Little and Long-billed continue to be present and mobile,
heading out to Maroubra last weekend perhaps. Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos
have returned in groups of 30+ recently, they fly into the Park in the morning
and head south in the evening to roost in local parks. A pair of Tawny
Frogmouths have remained in their roost tree despite the light rail
construction being quite close. There has also been a number of less usual
visitors to the Parklands and local areas such as the Randwick Environment Park
as the smaller birds move around setting up new territories.
Time will tell as to the effect of the loss of habitat on the urban birds in
Sydney’s east and in Centennial Park specifically. With constant monitoring
through Birding NSW surveys, which are available for study on their website,
the situation is being well and passionately monitored.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>