birding-aus

bird guides on iTunes

To: 'Birding-Aus' <>
Subject: bird guides on iTunes
From: Bob & Trish Sothman <>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 06:05:54 +0000
I have both the PK (Pizzey & Knight) and Morcombe apps ... both are good but PK
is clearly my favourite - both for the illustrations and calls.  I particularly
like the calls on PK as there are generally several from different locations
for most species. One example, PK has three calls for Australian Reed Warbler
(1) Typical songs, Melbourne, (2) Typical songs, Warwick and (3) Contact call,
Newcastle. I was birding on Calperum Station near Renmark SA a couple of days
ago and heard a call near some reeds that I could not initially recognize.  It
turned out the call was from an Australian Reed Warbler but it is was not their
typical song but their contact call which PK had but Morcombe and the old BOCA
tapes don’t have.
By the way, Calperum including Taylorville (both managed by Australian
Landscape Trust), is less well known for its birds than adjoining Gluepot
(owned by Birdlife Australia) to the West and Danggali Conservation Park to the
North. This is somewhat surprising as mallee bushland occurs on all three areas
while Murray River floodplains only occur on Calperum. Thus, Calperum supports
more bird species at any one time than either Gluepot or Danggali. Gluepot is a
great place for birds and birding but so is Calperum.
Bob Sothman
Adelaide