birding-aus

Interesting Kookaburra behaviour

To: 'Sonja Ross' <>, "" <>
Subject: Interesting Kookaburra behaviour
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 06:06:47 +0000
Couple of possibilities. It suggests to me that maybe it saw a little animal
in the mud, that dug deeper as the threat appeared and avoided being caught.
As kookaburras don't eat poison fruit, the macaw analogy doesn't work for
me. Yes some birds will use mud when preening, as some use ants (how this
can help seems odd though). May be something in that. I have not seen
anything like this.

Philip