birding-aus

Red-whiskered Bulbul at the Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens.

To: 'Charles' <>, 'Laurie Knight' <>
Subject: Red-whiskered Bulbul at the Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens.
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 05:37:54 +0000
Hi Laurie,

Mo (2015) reviewed the past and current status of the Red-whiskered Bulbul in
Australia. With respect to the current status of the species in Sydney, he
states:

"The current extent of the population in the Greater Sydney Region extends as
far north as Seaham and Raymond Terrace in the Hunter region (Blakers et al.
1984; Pizzey et al. 2007). The western extremities lie at the Blue Mountains
and Goulburn River National Park (Hardy and Farrell 1990; Smith and Smith 1990;
Fulton 2002). The population continues south to the Lake Wollumboola in the
Shoalhaven region (Wood 1996; Chafer et al. 1999; Barrett et al. 2003). Wood
(1995) determined population densities of up to 4.17 individuals per ha in
Puckeys Reserve, near Wollongong. The population has also invaded semi-rural
districts, especially in orchards (Gibson 1977; Frith 1979; Chafer et al.
1999). Since 2010, there have been 3703 database records attributed to the
Greater Sydney Region population (ALA 2015)."

Reference:

Mo, M. (2015). The Red-whiskered Bulbul Pycnonotus jocosus in Australia – a
global perspective, history of introduction, current status and potential
impacts. Australian Zoologist 37(4):461-471.
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7882/AZ.2015.014

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose