birding-aus

Nikon 200-500mm lens review

To: Rick Nash <>
Subject: Nikon 200-500mm lens review
From: Alistair McKeough <>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 20:16:04 +0000
For us Nikon shooters the D500 is going to make the shorter lenses a very
interesting proposition. 19 days until the official release date on 15
March.

Huge respect for some of the photos Australian birders take, and none more
than Graeme who I have admired over many years, but personally I'm not
giving up my 500 f/4!

While I absolutely love the 300 f/4 PF and find myself using it quite often
(including with tele-converters), by far the majority of my favourite shots
I have taken with a 500 f/4, which I don't have trouble hand-holding (but
accept that at 115kg I'm not the average build)! The beauty of the little
300 PF is that you can almost carry it incidentally while you bird or walk
around, and it fits easily in a normal bag... as opposed to the 500, every
walk with which becomes a photography expedition lugging a cumbersome lens!

Apparently no plans from Nikon to try the PF in the "super-telephoto"
lengths at this stage unfortunately, although last year's revisions of the
600mm and 500mm were 25 and 20 per cent lighter respectively.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>