birding-aus

How to compile a world Bird List

To: 'Rob Gully' <>
Subject: How to compile a world Bird List
From: Richard Johnstone <>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:03:16 +0000
Hello Rob.
I did the same thing about 3 years ago when I received a hard copy of
Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. I had a whole lot of lists from
different places and manually put them into Clements, which also lists
subspecies, so subsequent splits are visible fairly easily. I then manually
put all of them from Clements onto an excel spread sheet, and update it
whenever I see a new lifer. Obviously it also counts the number of species,
which was what I wanted to know.  I am going on a trip to Thailand tomorrow
so I am hoping to be able to add quite a few in when I get home in 3 weeks.
Taxonomic differences between lists are up to you to accept or reject as you
see fit, although many people will follow a particular authority. If I think
I am familiar enough with groups of species I just make the decision myself,
I don't actually refer to IOC or any other authority, although I think it is
interesting to check. In October I saw Black-chinned Whistler in Halmahera,
which some authorities still have lumped with Golden Whistler, but I decided
when I saw it that it was a new species to me (if Black-tailed Whistler is
separated and looks almost identical to Golden, then Black-chinned has to be
different, it is so unlike Golden). On the other hand if it was a
Phylloscopus warbler I would have absolutely no opinion on the taxonomy.
I am sure this is a clunky way of recording all my lifers, but it works for
me.
Cheers, Richard.