birding-aus

2016 duck-shooting season: a bad decision

To: 'Burnice Starkey' <>, "" <>
Subject: 2016 duck-shooting season: a bad decision
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 20:51:23 +0000
There's an interesting document here about the evidence considered before
deciding on the duck season:
http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/5301/2016-Duck-season-deliberations-finalcor.pptx.pdf

Reading that, you'd think they could only decide to abandon it. There are
several mentions of " Adaptively regulated duck hunting", and it appears that
the bag limit reduction is what they're adapting this year - 8 first day, 4 a
day after that, compared to 10 and 5 last year. Last year they could take 2
shoveler on opening day, 1 a day after that. This year they can't take any. I
wouldn't know what effect that will have, but they note:
"For the 2015 season, the total seasonal harvest was 53% of the long-term
average, average seasonal harvest per hunter was 50% of the average, average
days hunted per hunter was 60% of the average and total hunter days was 66% of
the average. It is not possible to separate out if the reduced bag limit or the
reduced  environmental conditions individually or in combination caused the
decline
in harvest and hunter participation."

It'll be interesting to see how the "harvest" estimate compares this year.

Peter Shute

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>