birding-aus

Feeding wild birds

To: Penny Brockman <>
Subject: Feeding wild birds
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:19:10 +0000
Regarding the spread of disease via bird baths, we have birds that come and
hang upside down drinking from a very slow drip from a garden tap (about a drip
per minute). Could disease be spread that way?

Regarding leaving pet food outside, I suspect that's a major food source for
mynas in some places, and foxes too.

Peter Shute

On 2 Feb 2016, at 8:25 PM, Penny Brockman <> wrote:

> The other factors are transmission of disease, as detailed concisely by
> Simon Robinson.  How many times a week do you clean your feeders?  I
> know quite a few people who seldom or never do.   I have bird baths
> which I scrub out when they get grotty but I don't use disinfectants, so
> I am also guilty.  Reason is I don't want to pour this disinfectant rich
> water into the surrounding soil.

> Remember that bread is very bad for some species, and particularly so
> for kangaroos (not birds !), and never leave your dog or cat food in the
> open, on the kitchen back steps, where birds like mynas eat it.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>