birding-aus

feeding birds

To: "" <>
Subject: feeding birds
From: Vader Willem Jan Marinus <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:00:47 +0000
I follow with great interest the  valuable discussion on this list concerning
the value and dangers of bird feeding. There are often comparisons with the
situation in Europe and N. America, but there is one aspect there that I cannot
see has got much attention, i.e. the great differences in climate. Here in
Tromsø, N. Norway,  at 70*N and with snow cover half the year, many People feed
the birds in Winter and that feeding, provided hygienic aspects are taken care
of, is defintely of benefit to the birds we have here in Winter. In fact, we
would not have Great and Blue Tits so ar North at all without feeding and nest
boxes (They do not hoard food for winter, as the other northern tits do.). In
Australia the situation is quite different, as at no season are the birds
depemndent upon feeding by humans.

The problem of a concentration of predatory birds is also, in my opinion,
somewhat less acute here, although there is little doubt that the numbers of
Eurasian Magpies and Hooded Crows is much larger here now than if there would
not have been people here; but they get most of their food from human
carelessness with garbage and Food rather than from direct feeding

                                           Wim Vader, Tromsø, Norway

<>
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list