birding-aus

Lorikeets on shift work

To: Stephen Ambrose <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Lorikeets on shift work
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 04:57:20 +0000
Not sure Stephen.  Rainbow Lorikeets are not particularly abundant out here
on the western fringe (yet).

The peppering of a few Little Lorikeets instead of the more usual 'western'
Purple-crowned is probably even more interesting.

cheers

Lawrie

++++++++++++
Dr Lawrie Conole
Tylden Vic 3444
Australia

lconole [at] gmail.com

On 14 January 2016 at 15:42, Stephen Ambrose <> wrote:

> Hi Lawrie,
>
> What were the local Rainbows feeding on prior to invading the Spotted Gums?
> Perhaps their preferred local nectar sources "dried up" and so moved onto
> the Spotted Gums in concentrated numbers, competitively excluding the other
> larger nectarivores?  This seems to happen in Sydney, particularly in the
> north shore areas, where there are huge numbers of Rainbows.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen
>
> Dr Stephen Ambrose
> Director
> AMBROSE ECOLOGICAL SERVICES PTY LTD
>
> m: 0402 225 481  t: 02 9808 1236  f: 02 9807 6865
> PO Box 246, Ryde NSW 1680
> web:  www.ambecol.com.au
> LinkedIn:  http://au.linkedin.com/in/drstephenambrose

<HR>