birding-aus

Eaglehawk Pelagic Trip Report, Jan 10 2016

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Pelagic Trip Report, Jan 10 2016
From: Paul Brooks <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 21:25:56 +0000
Participants:

Ruth Brozek, Lachie Clarke, Karen Dick, Darryl Eggins, Mona
Loofs-Samorzewski, George Madani, Gus McNab, Jim Sneddon, Brenton von
Takach Dukai, Els Wakefield, and Paul Brooks (organiser and report compiler)

Boat:

The Pauletta, skippered by John Males, with deckhand Michael Males.

Activity:

Left port at 0710 hrs to circumnavigate the Hippolytes then headed east of
to berley over 340 fathoms at 0910 hrs.  Drift was negligible as the
southerly breeze pushed us into a south-flowing tide.  Berleyed here until
1140 hrs with tuna frames and tuna oil.  Headed north for 30 mins to berley
again over 315 fathoms, drifting back in to 270 fathoms as the strong
northerly picked up.  We travelled back up the slick at 1250 hrs before
heading back to port to dock at 1455 hrs.

Conditions:

Left port in light southerlies and a low, tight swell.   As we passed the
Hippolyte, the southerly strengthened and the southerly swell picked up to
a confused and lumpy 2.5 metres.  The viewing conditions were dull under
the overcast sky.  Around 1000 hrs the wind swung around to the east and
began to strengthen further.  By the time we moved to our second stop, the
wind had shifted NNE approaching 20 knots and increasing, but the cloud
cover had largely dissipated.   The ride home was a bumpy affair in the
strong cross-winds.  Water temperature was approx. 20 deg C in all waters.
The participants who turned up in shorts, much to the consternation of
others, were very comfortable.  One seasick.

Mammals:

Common Dolphin: small pod offshore in the morning and afternoon.

Inshore Bottlenose Dolphin: small pod inshore in the morning.

Australian/New Zealand Fur Seal: c. 50 (16) on and around the Hippolytes.

Fish:

Sunfish sp: 1 in pelagic waters - pretty rare in Tasmania.

Birds (IOC v 5.3 – max at one time in brackets):

Little Penguin: 7 (2)

Wandering Albatross: 1 Immature at our second stop.

Antipodean Albatross: 3 (2) All in pelagic waters.  2 adult males which sat
together at the stern taking handouts and one younger male.

Southern Royal Albatross: 2 (1) Both pelagic. 1 very white adult and an
immature.

NORTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS: 1 Gave prolonged views at our first berley stop.
Juvenile Southern Royal considered but dismissed after scrutiny of photos.

Black-browed Albatross: 2 (1) 2 immatures in pelagic waters.

Campbell Albatross: 2 (1) 1 adult and 1 immature in pelagic waters.

Shy Albatross: c. 50 (15) 4 offshore in the morning; remainder pelagic,
including 2 juveniles.

Buller’s Albatross: 3 (1) 1 inshore, 1 offshore, 1 pelagic.

Southern Giant Petrel: 1 An immature in pelagic waters.

Northern Giant Petrel: 4 (4) All immatures in pelagic waters.

Fairy Prion: c. 100 (12) All in pelagic waters bar a few offshore in the
afternoon.

Great-winged Petrel: 1 A single bird of race *gouldi* in pelagic waters.

White-headed Petrel: 2 (1)

SOFT-PLUMAGED PETREL: 1 A single bird gave excellent views at our first
berley stop.

GOULD’S PETREL: 2 (1) One bird seen very poorly while motoring between
berley stops.  A second bird gave somewhat better views at our second stop.

White-chinned Petrel: 10 (10) All in pelagic waters.

Sooty Shearwater: 3 All pelagic; hung around the boat pretty much all day.

Short-tailed Shearwater: c. 3500 (c. 600) Absent inshore but very common
otherwise.

Hutton’s Shearwater: 1 (1) Offshore in the morning.

Flutton’s Shearwater: 4 (1) Offshore in the morning and pelagic.  Blurry
photos of one bird suggest Hutton’s.

Wilson’s Storm Petrel: 2 (2) Pelagic waters.

Grey-backed Storm Petrel: 4 (4) Pelagic waters.

White-faced Storm Petrel: c. 40 (23) 9 offshore approaching the
shelf-break, remainder pelagic bar a single bird inshore in the afternoon.

Common Diving Petrel: 3 (2) Offshore in the afternoon.

Black-faced Cormorant: c.715 (c. 450) 65 inshore in the morning; remainder
on the Hippolytes.

Australasian Gannet: 29 (25) 1 inshore in the morning, remainder on the
Hippolyte.

Silver Gull: c. 90 (c.70) Inshore and on the Hippolytes plus a single bird
in pelagic waters.

Pacific Gull: 3 (2) 2 adults inshore, 1 on The Hippolyte.

Kelp Gull: c. 45 (c. 20) c. 20 inshore in the morning; similar around the
Hippolyte and a juvenile offshore in the afternoon.

Greater Crested Tern: 3 (1) 1 offshore in the morning, others pelagic.

PB
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>