birding-aus

The decline of B-A

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: The decline of B-A
From: Vader Willem Jan Marinus <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:48:39 +0000
I have been a subscriber to Birding -aus for almost 20 years now, albeit these
last years only as an observer rather than a contributor. As I have written
already once earlier, many years before, Birding-aus has been my absolute
favourite among the several lists to which I have been subscribed. The reason
was, and is, the good mix of experts and other birders, the great willingness
of many of the experts to answer to all queries in detail and positively (and
not condescendingly), and the low level of irascible mails and hot disputes.
(Although the sure way to get a reaction to something one writes also on
Birding-aus definitely is to make some mistake in spelling or English; I never
got so many reactions as when I innocently-English is not my first
language-wrote that I 'loaded my batteries', instead of 'charged'!

The decline in numbers of subscribers and the proliferation of other social
media outlets seems to be global, and the European and N.American lists have
nowadays a very low level of activity. So Birding-aus is still by far my most
favourite list. I use the opportunity to wish you all a happy, healthy and
harmoniouis, full of birds but low on trolls. Tromsø is cold, wintery, and bird
poor, and in my garden the Magpie and the Hooded Crow are the only birds of
2016, while my year list stands at 8 species.

            Wim Vader, Tromsø, Norway
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>