birding-aus

Paradise Shelduck / Hudsonian Godwit

To: "" <>, John Reidy <>
Subject: Paradise Shelduck / Hudsonian Godwit
From: Tom Wilson <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 10:56:35 +0000
All
both around today (2 January) as well.  Shelduck down in the SE corner near,
but not with, the swans.  The Godwit also in its more usual place in the NE
corner but it had been elsewhere as I saw it fly in from the south end of the
lake at about 10am (after a group of birders, incl me, had spent about 45
minutes sifting through the birds that were at the normal spot, decided on the
one that was the Hudsonian, only to have it raise its wings and show that it
wasn’t).  No sign of the Hooded Plovers today, but pretty much everything else
from John’s note was there, plus a Great Knot.
When I arrived at approx 8:30am, there was a 400+ flock of White-throated
Needletails circling above the lake edge/car park in a feeding column.  This
(or another) big group appeared again at about 10am.
A great start to a birding year – thanks to all for keeping the ‘gen flowing.
Cheers
Tom Wilson