birding-aus

Lake Cargelligo

To: 'Jason McHattan' <>, 'Birding-Aus' <>
Subject: Lake Cargelligo
From: "Carl Weber " <>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 23:22:02 +0000
Hi Jason,

Yes, you have a good chance to get all the mallee residents at Round Hill in
December. I was there in December a few years ago and saw a good selection,
including Gilbert's whistler. January was not so good. It helps if there has
been some rain. If it is very dry, honeyeaters may be difficult. Look for
remnant pools of water, especially along the railway line. The water level
in the lake should be reasonably high, as it was full in September. Birding
around the lake is probably better as the water level drops.

The STP is fully accessible at all times, but water levels do vary from time
to time, and some ponds dry out. Consequently, migratory waders may not be
present. The samphire and saltbush adjacent to the STP is always worth a
check. Also, it is usually worthwhile to spend 20 minutes or so checking out
the samphire and saltbush at Chat Alley. This is a section of road about 17
km from town on the way to Round Hill. It is about 1 km in length and is the
only East-West strip of road on the trip.

Good luck,

Carl Weber