birding-aus

W Corella update

To: Birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: W Corella update
From: Terry Witt <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:10:19 +0000
I know many if not most visitors to the SW hope to see W Corella at Rocky
Gully.I was driving down today from Narrogin to Albany, and decided to take a
detour and try and tick the corella on the way.I exited Albany Highway at
Kojonup, and then headed south at Jingalup.  The second half of this road to
Frankland has almost no traffic, and was quite birdy.  There were many parrots
on the road and shoulders, hundreds of Port Lincoln's, some W Rosellas, and a
few Red-caps.  The ponds along the way attracted cockatoos, I saw one flock of
15 Red-tails, and 3 Carnaby's in another spot.  The corellas at Rocky gully
were a challenge.  I spent 30 minutes or so cruising around, then stopped for
gas only to have 2 different flybys with no field marks noted.  After driving
around for another hour or so, I finally lucked into a pair sitting in the top
of a dead tree offering great views, but they didn't stay long.  I also saw 3
different groups of RT Blacks around town. It might be prudent to allow an
adequate amount of time to find this bird, I got the impression from the gas
station attendant that the population may not be all that large.
Hope this is of some interest
Terry WittMurfreesboro TnUSA
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list