birding-aus

Painted Buttonquail Mulgoa

To: "" <>
Subject: Painted Buttonquail Mulgoa
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 03:28:54 +0000
Hi All

       Painted Buttonquail have featured on Mayfair Rd Mulgoa (50 km west of
Sydney over the past two weeks.

     Firstly numerous platelets were noted in wet roadside leaf litter, I
thought they might be just Blackbirds or even bandicoots both of which are
local.

    But then a fine fat bright female Painted Buttonquail ran off from the
roadside at the 60 speed sign. I has another look at the platelets and they
were indeed "platelets".'

    A day later there was repeated "booming" from behind the adjacent bio
banked bush.

    Then today a tiny pingpong ball sized chick ran up the gutter just below
the Biobank sign, cheeping for its dad who ran across the road.

    The cryptically brown/grey/ striped chick eventually managed to get out of
the gutter by climbing up a pile of debris and magically disappeared before my
eyes, into the short grass and leaf litter.

    Other recent notables; Variegated Fairywrens and Varied Sitella, plus
perhaps fifty plus other spp, many with fledglings, in a wonderful birding year
reminiscent of a couple of decades past, when the early morning walk routinely
visualised well over fifty bird species .

      Brown Quail are regular breeders in Mulgoa Valley, and yesterday they
were calling as well.

               Cheers

                     Michael

Sent from my iPhone