birding-aus

Australian Subspecies

To: Noel Luff <>
Subject: Australian Subspecies
From: Glenn Ehmke <>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 04:56:17 +0000
Hi Noel,

We list all subspecies, but not the intergrades as they are not “taxonomic”
units per say, but we have a list of all hybrid zones and all are mapped (from
the work of Schodde and Mason and more recent world). The Birdata system will
use these layers and do the subspecies classification in the background in most
cases, but it will offer users choice of specifying a subspecies If they want
to, where >1 subspecies occurs - but only the subspecies which co-occur in the
exact location will be offered as choices and this will always be optional and
un-intrusive.

Probably far more detail that you want… but FYI there are 553 combinations of
terrestrial subspecies intragrades in Australia currently the vast majority of
which are “2-way” zones, but can be up to 5-way (Varied Sitella in central Qld).

Of course actual subspecies hybrids can probably be identified?, but I suspect
very rarely so, and are a level probably well beyond the interest of anyone in
the field?

Cheers,
Glenn

On 5 Oct 2015, at 3:36 pm, Noel Luff