birding-aus

Cairns update

To: "" <>
Subject: Cairns update
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:17:48 +0000
Thanks to everyone that responded to my previous request about my upcoming trip
to FNQ. We fly out on Friday for a week in cairns/Atherton with the family and
then 12 days travelling with my parents and some friends as far north as iron
range. I am now looking for any interesting sightings in the area, and some
specific info on a few species (any time in the next few weeks would by find if
things change).
Rufous owl - any currently roasting in the cairns area?
Spotted whistling-duck - I will try known sites around Lockhart river, but are
there any floating about in other spots at the moment?
Golden bowerbird - I think this is the hardest of the wet tropic endemics (we
are going on a commercial your on Mt Lewis so should get most of the rest). Are
there any sites worth visiting where you have an increased chance of sightings
(other than a bower which I am not asking for). I have seen at the crater in
the past, but nowhere seems reasonably reliable.
Any other interesting things (such as vagrants around the esplanade) would also
be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Peter