birding-aus

Cockatoos, corellas nesting in non trees

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Cockatoos, corellas nesting in non trees
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 06:50:00 +0000
Lets hope you are right John.

Since the Corellas have moved into Melbourne, we are seeing much more
competition for the hollows in the fewer and fewer trees.  We are
seeing more and more of them competing with Wood Duck, Galah, Rainbow
Lorikeet, Eastern Rosella, Possums & Mynas etc. all sitting around
the hollows and chasing each other away.  If some of them can adapt
to human buildings that might help all of them.

A friend in Germany has helped architects design cavities in their
buildings so that nest boxes for Common Swifts can be placed in there
to bring back swifts to some parts of Germany, from whence they fled
because they could not find nest sites.

Could we encourage them to nest in building?

Cheers

Mike

===================
Michael Tarburton

===================

On 21/08/2015, at 2:20 PM, John Leonard wrote:

> Does anyone have an experience of cockatoos or corellas nesting in
> places that aren't trees, ie cavities in buildings?
>
> Some of both these spp are hanging around a derelict building
> opposite the one I work in in Canberra, and they look so furtive I
> think they might be considering nesting.
>
> John Leonard

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>