birding-aus

Leave the Night Parrot alone

To: carl clifford <>, "" <>
Subject: Leave the Night Parrot alone
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 02:10:43 +0000

Further to what Carl has written here, I feel it is crucial to point out that
there are, in my humble opinion, two different types of people looking for and
watching birds - both unfortunately collectively known as BIRDERS. Firstly, we
have birders who watch birds responsibly and treat them with the respect that
they should be afforded. These birders I call birdwatchers. I place myself
firmly in this category. Secondly, we have birders who watch birds
irresponsibly and show much disrespect towards the very creatures that they
purport to care about. They harass the birds with irresponsible use of bird
voice; they creep in way too close for that perfect image; they show disrespect
towards other observers more patient themselves; they show disrespect towards
the land on which they are birding, whether it be private property or publicly
accessible or a sensitive reserve; they exaggerate on or lie about their
observations; they jump straight back into their cars heading for their next
target as soon as they've, or even one of their mates, got a positive ID...
etc...etc!! This second group I just call SELFISH, LAZY, and SHAMEFUL - full
stop!! I find it very hard to call them birders, if I am to be honest. Please
let's all be patient - one day we can all go and have a look for Night Parrots
on this very piece of land under study at the moment, wherever it is. But until
then, there is nothing stopping anyone from going and finding their own Night
Parrots elsewhere - just like John Young did !! There are plenty of other spots
that would be worth searching for them - Pilbara, Gibson Desert, Canning Stock
Route, Mt Isa-Bedourie, Tanami Desert, etc etc... The result of finding other
populations in other parts of the country would be far more beneficial for the
species, than selfish observers just lazily looking for easier targets where
they have been found to be recently and currently, putting undue stress on the
very same individual birds repeatedly, which cannot be good for them however
you look at it. Let's just !
 go and find some more somewhere else - that would so much more rewarding than
an easier or quicker tick, wouldn't it??!! Enough from me on this... martin
cachard,trinity beach,cairns.

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:55:24 +1000
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Leave the Night Parrot alone
>
> While the Night Parrot is undoubtedly, the Holy Grail of Australian (and
> probably international) birders, we should do the right thing and not attempt
> either find it, or if a population is found to be on an accessible site, not
> attempt to "tick" it. Birders have been a significant factor in the decline
> of a number of bird species world wide , e.g. Gurneys Pitta and Bornean
> Ground Cuckoo, in what had previously been significant locations for these
> species.
>
> So, for the Ground Parrot's sake leave it alone. One less tick won't kill you.
>
> Carl Clifford
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>