birding-aus

Emus and Pines and YTBCs

To: brian fleming <>
Subject: Emus and Pines and YTBCs
From: Harry Nyström <>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:16:44 +0000
Hello from Finland, where pines are aplenty.

I hope other non-Australian readers, such as Wim Vader from Norway, will
contribute more as I will surely forget something.

Indeed, Capercaillie eats pine sprouts, which is an important food source
especially during winters. With pines I mainly mean Scots pine, *Pinus
sylvestris*. Other notable species in pine forests are Crossbills,
especially Parrot Crossbills, which use their plier-like beaks to open pine
cones to get to the seeds. Other Crossbills use also pine (although they
might prefer other conifers), so it is not exclusive to Parrot CBs. Some
tits, like the European Crested Tit and Siberian Tit are common in pine
forests and mainly nest in that habitat. European Nightjar is also a
typical open pine forest species in Southern Finland during Summers (the
nights seem to be too bright for it in Northern Finland). Common Redstart
is also a typical pine forest species, although is typically also seen in
gardens. And where there are Redstarts, there are also Common Cuckoos.
Several insectivores use young pines to hunt for e.g. spiders. Pines are
also typical for marshes and bogs, which function as a birthplace for
millions of mosquitoes, and they form a significant food for several small
passerines, such as Goldcrests and Willow Warblers. Nevertheless, the
biodiversity of pure heath-type dry pine forests is quite poor. Pine cones
are important food also to Red Squirrels. Lastly I have to add that planted
Macedonian Pines (*Pinus peuce*) and Swiss Pines (*Pinus cembra*) are an
important food source for Eurasian Nutcrackers.

Spruce forests, on the other hand, have usually different kinds of birds
ranging from Great Grey and Ural Owls to Three-toed Woodpeckers, Goshawks,
Willow Grouse, Greater Spotted Woodpeckers (they use the seeds in the cones
for food), Chiffchaffs, Wrens, Red Crossbills etc. On the Eastern border
and in Northern Finland there are also some nice species like Red-flanked
Bluetail, Pine Grosbeak, Two-barred Crossbill, Siberian Jay etc. Also,
Goldcrests are far more common in spruce than pine forests.

Otherwise, the forests are typically a mix of trees, not solely something.
Of course the main component might be pines in many forests, especially on
drier heath land, but there are also some birches, spruces, rowans and
alders when the ground gets a bit more moist.

When I was in Orange, New South Wales in 2012, we saw a Swamp Wallaby in a
planted pine forest and also several White-throated Treecreepers singing on
the edges of the forests. Also, one Eastern Rosella flew into one.
Otherwise they looked like too dense (i.e. too close to each other) and
biodiversity-wise too poor (no understorey etc.) for abundant wildlife in
my Finnish pine forest point-of-view.

Cheers,
-Harry

<HR>