birding-aus

Silver Gulls with black sub-terminal band across tail feathers

To: "" <>
Subject: Silver Gulls with black sub-terminal band across tail feathers
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 05:55:00 +0000
When I was in Broome ( about 2002) out on the beach front of the BBO, I
saw a gull with a nice black sub-terminal band and wondered if I was
looking at a vagrant - Black-tailed Gull ?  Then decided, no it was just
a variation of the Silver or something else. No camera to take a photo,
so better not stick my head out!

Not easy when you are away from your comfort zone.

> When in Broome, Western Australia in 2002 and again in 2015 I saw Silver
> Gulls with all the features of juvenile birds but which have a distinctly
> black sub-terminal band across the upper surface of the tail. The juvenile
> Silver Gulls I see around Nambucca Heads may have a light brownish band but
> not black. Checking the literature (HANZAB, Pizzey & Knight, Simpson & Day,
> Morecombe, Slater) all mention ‘brownish’ except the Slaters who say ‘dark’.
> None describes black. Am I mistaking a dark band for black or am I observing
> an undescribed Broome or Western Australian feature of the Silver Gull or
> perhaps I am mistaken when I identify them as Silver Gulls.
>
> Can someone sort me out please.
>
> Evan Cleland.
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list