birding-aus

Photography - Nikon lenses

To: Paul Dodd <>
Subject: Photography - Nikon lenses
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 10:23:47 +0000
I don't know about the new Nikon lens, but I've been very impressed at the
cheaper (!) Sigma 150-500 for my Pentax, and also how ubiquitous it is. The
twitch at Macleod station a few weeks ago turned into quite a Sigmafest, with
four there out of four photographers. Clearly it's not just me that's satisfied.

Bill

On 04/08/2015, at 4:24 PM, "Paul Dodd" <> wrote:

> Hi birders,
>

> Nikon has (today) announced a new 200-500mm f/5.6 VR lens. This lens is
> squarely in the same category as the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3, Sigma
> 150-600mm f/5-6.3 and Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 lenses - presumably Nikon
> sees enough value in this market segment to release a version.
>

> The Sigma 15-600mm lens retails for about $1350 here in Australia, the
> Tamron version for about $1200. I don't have final pricing on the Nikon
> either here or in the US, but it is expected to retail at $US1399 - so a bit
> more expensive than the competition.
>

> At 500mm maximum zoom it is 100mm shorter than either the current Sigma or
> the Tamron, but is a constant f/5.6 throughout the zoom range giving it
> better low light performance at 500mm than either of the others. The Nikon
> lens appears to come with Nikon's current magic coatings, and features the
> latest 4.5 stop vibration reduction system.
>

> It sounds like a really good value lens for bird photographers.
>

> Details are on the Nikon Australia website here:
>

> http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/zoom/telephoto
> -zoom/af-s-nikkor-200-500mm-f-5-6e-ed-vr
>

> And a shorter version of the link here, in case the longer version gets
> truncated by the birding-aus mail server:
>

> http://bit.ly/1OMuKMr
>

> Paul Dodd
>
> Docklands, Victoria
>

> <HR>