birding-aus

Cape York (yet again)

To: Peter Ewin <>, "" <>
Subject: Cape York (yet again)
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 03:51:33 +0000
Hi Peter,

You will be too early for migrants such as Black-winged Monarch,
Paradise-Kingfisher, and Red-bellied Pitta. But Pied Imperial-Pigeons will be
here as they arrive early to mid August at latest here and up the Cape.
Metallic Starlings will be here too - in fact the numbers of wintering
starlings seems to be increasing rather quickly - I've some here right through
the winter this year at home in Trinity Beach numbering about 500 birds or so!
I've even had my first ever Aust wintering Imperial-Pigeons stay at Trinity
Beach this year, just a pair though!!

But migrants being migrants, u could be very lucky and chance upon an
over-wintering individual or 2 of BW Monarch, RB Pitta, and
Paradise-Kingfisher...but u would have more chance of winning lotto, I'm
afraid!!

I'd love to recommend that u do go to the McIvor River causeway Peter, because
it is me who put that spot on the birding map - BUT it is a long way off-course
from the Cape road and given that the BW Monarchs won't be there, and you can
get White-browed Robins just as easily elsewhere, then I'd recommend that u
give the site a miss and spend more time looking at birds in other places along
the Cape road like Musgrave-Morehead River for GS Parrots and Black-backed
Butcherbirds etc...

I hope that helps,

martin cachard,
trinity beach, cairns.

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:45:59 +1000
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Cape York (yet again)
>
> I am off to Cape York again (this time with my parents and some of their
> birding friends) in early October. I have been up that way a number of times,
> though always in November so I have a few questions (though reading my
> previous notes I think I have answered two already).
> Is the McIvor River Crossing worth visiting in October (and even if going to
> Iron Range)? I think the answer is yes as this seems like the best spot for
> White-browed Robin though not certain how visible it will be at this time of
> year (any other potential sites would also be appreciated).
> I am assuming I am going to struggle some of the summer migrants (definitely
> Red-bellied Pitta, probably Buff-breasted Paradise-kingfsher) but what of the
> chances of some of the others such as Black-winged Monarch and even Pied
> Imperial-pigeon? (I have seen Metallic Starlings in Cairns in June so I am
> assuming that I will be able to find them). Are there any other species that
> are likely to be more difficult to find at that time in the dry that I should
> make certain I pay attention for?
> Finally, is there anything that is unliekly to be calling (particularly at
> Iron Range) that may be harder to find - my past experience there is that
> some species are easier to hear than see and if they are not calling they
> might be very difficult.
> Any comments on on peoples experiences on the Cape at that time of year would
> be greatly appreciated.
> I will send another post closer to the time for more up to date info on some
> species like Spotted Whistling Duck and Rufous Owl in Cairns, but any
> comments appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Peter
>

> <HR>