birding-aus

Pink Robins in NSW

To: Greg and Val Clancy <>, Graeme Chapman <>, "" <>
Subject: Pink Robins in NSW
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 07:12:55 +0000
Hi Greg, Graeme and all,

I agree there's likely much more latitudinal migration amongst
Australian birds than many people realise. I'm certain the Red
Wattlebirds are (partial) latitudinal migrants as we see flocks of
them, sometimes numbering 50 or more, flying north through the Blue
Mountains every autumn along with the migrating Yellow-faced and
White-naped Honeyeaters, Noisy Friarbirds and Silvereyes. We also see
flocks of Spotted and Striated Pardalotes flying north - sometimes
hundreds moving over a single site on a given morning. I also agree
about the Grey Fantails, Willie Wagtails, Golden Whistlers, etc, but
as they seem to migrate at night we rarely see them actually flying
over, though we do get definite influxes in autumn.

Incidentally, this year's autumn honeyeater migration was the
smallest we've seen for a few years and definitely since Blue
Mountains Bird Observers started their monitoring project in 2011.
 From a preliminary look at the figures it seems the numbers were in
the order of ONE QUARTER the more usual numbers we see in autumn.
(Having said that, it's normal for there to be huge variation from
one year to another.) Either they didn't migrate this year, they took
a different route, or they moved shorter distances.

Regarding the possibility of Pink Robins breeding in or close to the
central tablelands, there's plenty of high country on the Boyd and
Oberon Plateaus which could have pockets of suitable habitat and is
little visited by birders. Who knows.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets