birding-aus

numbers

To: David Clark <>
Subject: numbers
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:21:57 +1000
Thank you. I'm at 500m in SEQ. The area is ex-dairy (previously red-cedar
timber-getting), being now semi-rural /regrowth.

We came here in the 90s & Galah numbers increased steadily until maybe a
couple of years ago. At their peak, Galahs would arrive here in
several-family groups, & in the season when youngsters were (apparently)
old enough, the adults would leave them all day in the Tipuana tipu tree,
where the vein from the petiole into the green winged seed provided good
feed (apparently). These Mexican Racehorse Trees look to be woody weeds
here, & each tree produces enormous amounts of seed.

Now, we rarely see Galahs here; just occasional pairs, say, flying by.
Also, down below on the flats, in the townships to the north of &
travelling into Brisbane, the crowds of Galahs seem to have disappeared...

Cheers,
Judith.

On 15 April 2015 at 15:37, David Clark <> wrote:

> Galah numbers seem to have gone up in my part of suburban Melbourne.  I
> haven't noticed any change in Vic, NSW, SA and southern NT over the last
> couple of years.
>
> Cheers
>
> David
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Judith L-A <
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyone noticing a change in Galah numbers?
>> Judith
>>

>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>