birding-aus

Western Ground Parrots and Feral Cats

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Western Ground Parrots and Feral Cats
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:10:37 +1000
I was a tad concerned to read the latest newsletter of Friends of the
Western Ground Parrot.
The newsletter provides details of work by the WA Department of Parks
and Wildlife’s IFRP (Integrated Fauna Recovery Project) team
concerning feral cats in the coastal south-west of WA. The team has
collared and released 30 feral cats prior to the 2015 autumn
cat-baiting program. The idea is to gather research material which may
assist future management plans to control feral cats with baits. As
the team puts it: "By collaring cats and releasing them, we are given
a direct indication of how many ‘take the bait’."  For instance,
analysis of data from collars may provide insights into knowing how
cats use different types of habitats and landforms, which could allow
for improvements to baiting strategies.
What bothers me, however, is that some of the cats were released back
into Cape Arid National Park. Cape Arid is almost certainly the only
site remaining where the Western Ground Parrot survives, in perilously
small numbers. The merits of collaring and releasing feral cats may be
debated, but was it necessary to release them back into the only place
where the birds remain?
The newsletter can be found here:
HTTP://TINYURL.COM/KD2COLQ
Greg