birding-aus

John Young and the Night Parrot - and dogs?

To: <>
Subject: John Young and the Night Parrot - and dogs?
From: "Michael Norris" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:33:52 +1100
My thanks too to Russell for his elegant summary of John’s talk.

There wasn’t time for me to ask my question, which was whether John/anyone was
considering using trained dogs to protect the only known Night Parrot area,
which is not at all large, from cats.

This would be to complement longer-term efforts to use diseases, or genetic
manipulation to prevent cats breeding, and killing of cats by Dingoes.

In Australia, trained dogs are protecting a penguin colony from foxes (using
Italian  – Maremma – sheepdogs at Middle Island, near Warmanbool) and Macquarie
Island from rabbits (using Springer Spaniels).

Sorry not to say hi to more people last night.

I was trying to protect you from the worst cold north of Ricketts Point :-)

Michael Norris
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>