birding-aus

Philippines trip

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Philippines trip
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:28:26 +1100
Yes terrible for Carlito and yet another problem for the area but put into
context as to why this would happen and why the army are so sensitive and
could make mistakes:

I was there from 14 January till 3 February.

On 25 January many police and soldiers were sent to arrest a known Islamic
terrorist in Mindanao. Somehow the operation was either astonishingly
bungled or corruptly sabotaged at a high level. 44 police officers were
somehow ambushed and all murdered by a quite sophisticated "terrorist"
group. Anyway the country is really shocked by this. When the bodies were
returned, the President chose to go to a prior event of the opening of a new
car factory, rather than change his arrangements to attend this event. This
insensitivity seems to have caused quite some outrage. He did attend a later
commemoration. See e.g.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-29/philippines-mourns-44-police-killed-in
-botched-anti-terror-raid/6055900 and
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-26/dozens-of-philippine-police-officers-k
illed-in-clash-with-rebels/6046870 The situation there is complex. This was
only a few days after the country obsessed over the visit by the pope.

I could possibly had gone to Mindanao, I had seriously considered it. As it
has some great birding opportunities and in particular the Philippine Eagle
centre there, at the time of this botched military angle. I was very glad I
didn't. Would be too much risk and too expensive. I had received conflicting
advice of the safety of going to Mindanao. My friend there was constantly
fearful of me wandering around with my binoculars and would I be in danger
from being ambushed, robbed or taken hostage. Nothing bad did happen to me.
We are lucky in Australia to hardly have these fears.

Instead I went with my friend to Palawan island and that is a very pretty
and peaceful place, most people are very nice and helpful...... The big risk
there (as in all of the Philippines), surviving being on the road, then
being approached by lots of poor people trying to sell trinkets and avoiding
the monkeys.......

The only Philippine Eagle I got to see was the one in Manila, in the Aquino
zoo. Poor bird has been there for 19 years but looks in excellent condition
what an impressive bird. In two trips of 3 weeks, I found only very few wild
raptors (though lots in zoos).

Philip