birding-aus

Barau's Petrel off Bremer Bay WA

To: Frank O'Connor <>
Subject: Barau's Petrel off Bremer Bay WA
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:39:12 +0800
I've also seen photos of Great-winged Petrel (both races) and White-faced
Storm-Petrel from Georgina, plus Indian Yellow-nosed and Black-browed Alb and
Flesh-footed Shear in various photos and footage from the documentary. Nothing
too unusual in that, though 'Grey-faced' Great-wingeds seem to be relatively
uncommon off the SW. A couple of good seabirders were due out on today's trip,
so they will probably have a list.

My suspicion is that it will be pretty similar to Albany. It would be
interesting to get out there but last I checked there were no charter boats
based at Bremer, so for now it would be a relatively expensive experiment.

Cheers
John

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 Feb 2015, at 2:48 pm, Frank O'Connor <> wrote:
>

> I don't have a bird list for the trip or the area.  The only other photo I
> have seen is of a Shy Albatross.
>
> It is a Killer Whale watching trip, so I don't think there is any chumming.
> The cost is high ($350), but quite a bit goes towards the research.  I have
> yet to see Killer Whales so this sounds like a fairly certain way of seeing
> them.
>
> At 07:22 AM 22/02/2015, Laurie Knight wrote:
>> Thanks Frank
>>
>> Do you have a list of the species seen on the Bremer upwelling?  It would be
>> interesting to see how it compares to the list seen on the Albany pelagics -
>> to know what additional species might be attracted to the feeding bonanza.
>>
>> Regards, Laurie
>>
>> On 22 Feb 2015, at 2:27 am, Frank O'Connor <> wrote:
>>

>> > Georgina Steytler on 21/02/2015 was on the Killer Whale trip off Bremer
>> > Bay (40km offshore at the Bremer Canyon) when she photographed a Barau's
>> > Petrel.  For details of the Killer Whale trip go to the web site
>> > http://www.whales-australia.com.au/bremer-killer-whales/
>> >
>> > I must put this in my diary for next year ....

> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>