birding-aus

Pacific Golden Plover/American Cardinal at Waikiiki at Waikiki

To: "" <>
Subject: Pacific Golden Plover/American Cardinal at Waikiiki at Waikiki
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 08:12:15 +1100
Hi All,

  I have attended an annual conference in Honolulu for the last two years, and
both times there has been a nicely spangled Pacific Golden Plover, on a very
green lawn, enclosed by lush tropical landscaping and a gigantic Banyan tree,
within a shopping mall on one side and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on the other. A
few metres from the plover was a crested American Cardinal with brilliant red
front, both vey approachable. A constant stream of brightly coloured tourists
was walking along the surrounding footpath.

        A pair of White Terns in a pas de deux over the beach.

       Otherwise House Sparrows and hundreds of white domestic Pigeons (they
must cull the coloured ones) and our very own Peaceful Doves picking up crumbs
at your feet inside the beachfront restaurants.

       Most visible Hawaiian landbirds   have been introduced, from all over
the world. Over 150, many have naturalised, whilst scores of endemics are
extinct. Although not specifically birding we also saw Mallard, Cattle Egret,
Turtledoves, Ringnecked Parrakeets, Java Finches, indeterminate Whiteeyes,
Common Mynahs, Red-whiskered Bulbuls plus others unidentified.

        Cheers

             Michael
Sent from my iPhone
<HR>