birding-aus

Backyard Goshawk, Ivanhoe

Subject: Backyard Goshawk, Ivanhoe
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:06:10 +1100
Major surprise during a late breakfast- 9.45 am - looked out and saw a large bird on the back steps behind the house, just below our bird-bath. Lots of splashy dark brown markings - a juvenile Brown Goshawk. Eyebrows and heavy legs clearly seen, tail out of sight behind it. It stayed there for a minute or so, then took off and flew through the garden. When I got out with the camera, it was perched in our neighbour's big Sugar Gum, but again it took flight when I raised the camera. Its movements around nearby gardens could be traced by numerous alarm-calls. Brown Goshawks were regular visitors in the 1970s but in recent years they have not been seen very often.
Our house is above Darebin Creek - major local bird-route.

Anthea Fleming
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>