birding-aus

Coconut on my Rainbow

To: "Aus Birding" <>
Subject: Coconut on my Rainbow
From: "Julian Bielewicz" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 08:55:05 +1000
Greetings Folks

While updating a number of birdlists for my website
[www.birdingsouthburnett.com] I came across the Coconut Lorikeet.  It appears
to be conflicting with Rainbow Lorikeet.

The problem also exists in my computer bird journal program but I am addressing
that issue elsewhere.

It appears that only the IOC makes specific reference to the Coconut as a
separate species:
Coconut       haematodus
Rainbow        moluccanus

Clements has the Coconut as a “group” within the Rainbow complex:

Trichoglossus haematodus [haematodus Group] Rainbow Lorikeet (Coconut)

Other consulted authorities [e.g. Lynx, Avibase, etc.] basically concur with
Clements.

Which brings me to the recently released BARC list:

Trichoglossus moluccanus        Coconut

Trichoglossus moluccanus        Rainbow

Am I to take this as indicating that “Coconut” is merely an alternative name
for “Rainbow”; or is it considered a subspecies; or that the two having
identical scientific names is a mere oversight, a “typo”?

I would be grateful for any and all assistance in fathoming out how my Rainbows
got onto the coconut shy.

Cheers
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list