birding-aus

Feral Cat Problem

To: Ian Boyd <>
Subject: Feral Cat Problem
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:49:26 +1100
I've scribbled out some initial thoughts in response to your email, and while I
probably should go over it more carefully, I'm going to bed.  I'm sure other
people are doing something, and they don't need to be told by me how to suck
eggs.
Just briefly, I think the iron is hot on this topic and widespread action just
might achieve something.  There are a number of levels to work on:
.  Politicians and political
.  Government agencies and policy makers
.  Organised conservation groups and policy influencers
.  Media
.  The public

Peter Morgan

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.

                                    e^(πί)+1=0

> On 19 Feb 2015, at 5:02 pm, Ian Boyd <> wrote:
>
> It is a pity that it takes the slaughter of a Night Parrot by a feral cat to
> get some people up in in arms baying for action.
OK, but sometimes a trigger works, and it makes sense to use it in "baying for
action"

> Whether it is the death of Night Parrot or a Peaceful Dove, I feel it is well
> passed time that a concerted effort by the birding world be made to kick the
> ‘powers to be’ into action re the out of control feral cat problem.
While I am not prepared to go into this in detail in a public forum like this,
I have been working by contacting one govt agency and one peak conservation
group to try to get a concerted and coordinated action under way.  It might or
might not come to anything, but it will have a better chance if others also do
something similar.  I will do more tomorrow.
> Hopefully, some of the vocal deep thinkers out there could guide us ordinary
> every birders into ways we can establish some positive action. Postings on
> Birding-Aus and blogs etc would not even cause a ripple.
I have used some of the chat from this forum which has made some very good
points about feral cats.
> What can we do and how can we do it.
What is needed and has most chance of achieving something in protecting native
fauna from cats is a considered widespread push. It does have to go beyond just
talking among ourselves.
So, I make a few suggestions:
1.  Urge Birdlife Australia and/or any conservation groups you might have an
affiliation with to pursue this matter with their fellow groups and with
government agencies and members of parliament in all states.
2.  If you are happy to, talk to the media through letters to the editor or
other ways if you have that option.
3.  Be prepared for a backlash, but keep working on the policy makers.
4.  While you might not be happy about concentrating on an "icon" species, it
is a good way to get the general public interested and supportive.  And in
doing so, you can help a whole suite of other species.  While I understand and
am supportive of your comment about Night Parrots and Peaceful Doves,
protection of the latter can have a better chance if you focus on the former.
That's the way the world works.
5.  Make considered submissions that show you are acting with some real
understanding of the issue.
6.
> Rather than rhetoric, let’s be pro-active and get something  moving before it
> is too late; not only for the Night Parrot but for those little beauties that
> frequent my backyard.
Couldn't agree more

> Ian Boyd
> Townsville