birding-aus

WA Twitchathon Results

To: John Graff <>
Subject: WA Twitchathon Results
From: John Graff <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 23:31:18 +0800
Hi everyone,

I was about to send a reminder about the WA Twitchathon presentations next
Monday, when I realised I hadn't yet published the finalised results!! D'oh!
So, here they are - somewhat belatedly!

24-hr Competition
183 - Western Whistlers (Steve Burns & Mark Newman)
180 - The Ruff Knights (Stewart Ford, Bruce Greatwich, Nigel Jackett & Nathan
Waugh)
156 - S. W. A. T. (Rose Ferrell, David Secomb & Peter Taylor)
130 - Stark Raven Mad (Wes Bancroft, Scarlett Bancroft, Leo Bancroft & Natalie
Warburton)
127 - The Rainbow Avocets (Morgan Pickering & Robyn Pickering)

12-hr Competition
130 - Once Bittern (Mark Henryon, Maris Lauva, Frank O'Connor & Wayne Merritt)
124 - Hunters & Collectors (Rowan du Boulay, Dru Furlong, Ian Purdey & Louis
Purdy)
100 - 12hr Stint (Chris Cooper & Jennie Stock)
80 - Peeping Pardalotes (Andrew Hobbs, Jill Hobbs & Libby McGill)
55 (early retirement) - Weebill Rock You (Jeff Turpin & Joanna Riley)

Armchair Competition
74 - Blue and White Hoopoes (Nick Brown & Alan Collins)
44 - Lazy Old Bustards (George Agar & Pam Agar)
36 - O. B. E. Team (Clive Napier, Wendy Napier & Brian Wilson)

Best Bird
There were a number of good records across the board, but the standout winner
was a Little Ringed Plover found at Chinaman Pool in Carnarvon by the Ruff
Knights

Worst Dip
As always, there were plenty of candidates in this category with Australian
Magpie a notable omission from one armchair team's list. However, it was
decided that that

Presentations will be made at the BirdLife WA meeting next Monday (23rd),
starting at 7.30pm. I failed to realise when postponing it that this will also
be the Annual AGM, so hopefully it doesn't run too late - apologies for that.
I'm hoping there'll be at least one member of each of the winning teams there
to collect their trophy or prizes. Also, if any teams are still holding the
perpetual trophy for their competition could organise to get them back to the
office by Monday, or bring them along on the night if attending, that would be
fantastic

Thanks once again to all participants for your involvement - congratulations go
to the winners, but hopefully everyone enjoyed the event.

One final thing, this has been the last time I'll be organising the 'thon in WA
- I don't have the same enthusiasm and motivation for it that I once did, and
now that it has become a regular event on the WA birding calendar, it's
probably time for some new faces and fresh ideas. In particular, it would be
nice to push the publicity and fundraising a little more than I have been able
to. Fortunately Stewart Ford and Wes Bancroft have volunteered to take over
organisation of the event - Stu and Wes have been regular participants and I'm
sure they'll have it up and running again later this year. I'd just like to say
a final thanks to everyone who's helped me out with organisation since I first
restarted the 'Thon in 2009, it's been much appreciated!

Cheers,
John

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list