birding-aus

King Is Trip

To: <>
Subject: King Is Trip
From: "Martin Woodward" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:43:34 +1100
Hi Everyone,

After reading the King Is trip report from David Torr et al last September,
I was inspired to visit the Island with my wife earlier this month for a
week.

The bird watching was very enjoyable with a wide range of birds to see
including most of the Tasmanian endemics and four feral species viz Wild
Turkey, Indian Peafowl, Common Ringneck Pheasant and Californian Quail.

With little effort I was able to add Wild Turkey and California Quail to my
list and several local subspecies such as Dusky Robin and Yellow Wattlebird
(both kingi).

I saw 80 species whilst part time bird watching over our seven day visit.

To add to this enjoyment the locals were very hospitable, the weather was
cool most days (20 to 22 Celsius) and at most sites we were the only
visitors.

Apparently 28 to 30C is a rare very hot day on the Island!

Every day we enjoyed quiet walks along beautiful beaches, short bush walks
from the many well catered day visitor areas and beautiful sunrises and
sunsets.

Other highlights included watching Little Penguins return to their rookery
on dusk at Grassy, visiting several light houses and the Currie Museum, and
sampling the famous King Island cheeses.

We flew from Melbourne Airport with Rex Airlines, hired a Honda Jazz and
stayed at Baudin?s Cabins in Naracoopa (good meals at Baudin?s Restaurant).

Also we had meals in Currie at the Club (yummy fresh locally caught flake!),
Café, Bakery and Take Away where the food was all very good.

Everything was characteristically hassle free and prices were generally
quite reasonable.

So if you?re looking to beat the heat and crowds this summer, and have an
enjoyable bird watching holiday, I?d highly recommend King Island.

Regards Martin Woodward

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>